When I was around the age of 12, I got my first hormonal breakout. My mom boiled some water, poured it in a bowl and told me to put a towel over my head and hold my face over the steam. Mother knows best! Fast foward 22 years.... Last month I received my winter subscription from CAUSEBOX inside was a bottle of DETOX A floral and herb facial steam blend. I was all too excited to try this facial steam! Especially from a company like Klei beauty who uses natures and cruelty free products!
I wanted to find out all I could about the benefits of home facial steaming and I'm going to share with you what I found out!
1. Cleansing- Hot steam opens your pores and helps soften the surface layer of dead skin cells. Loosens dirt and contaminants that are clogging pores and the heat induces sweating, which further flushes out pores.When steam is applied to the face, it softens blackhead plugs, gently releasing them from follicular openings.
2. Affordable- You don’t need to dish out big bucks for a steam facial at a spa to enjoy the benefits; it can be done at home using items you already have. You can use tea leaves, essential oils or just the boiling water, you will see the results from the steam alone!
3. Improved circulation – Without getting too scientific, steaming your face triggers a thermoregulating response in which blood vessels in the skin dilate so more blood can flow to the skin, which delivers oxygen and nutrients to the tissue. This is what gives tired, dull skin that rosy, dewy post-steam glow.
4. Sinus congestion- The warm, moist air is thought to work by loosening the mucus in the nasal passages, throat, and lungs. This may relieve symptoms of inflamed, swollen blood vessels in your nasal passages.Steam inhalation doesn’t actually kill the virus responsible for the infection. At best, steam inhalation might make you feel a little better as your body fights your cold!
5. Enhances Results Of Topical Treatments- It makes your skin more receptive to other skincare treatments. Once your pores have opened and the dirt and debris have been eliminated, your clean pores can now better absorb products you might use, such as a face mask or serum.
Steam for a minimum of 5 minutes, and no more than 10 minutes.
Add a facial steam tea to infuse your skin with therapeutic herbs, flowers and roots.
Steam no more than once a week for the best results.
While this process can help clear up mild acne, those who suffer from severe acne or skin conditions like rosacea should consult a doctor before trying an at home facial steam.
BE CAREFUL- Working with boiling water can cause serious burns.
HOW TO FACIAL STEAM
Step 1: Place a heat-safe bowl on a surface of your choosing. Boil a few cups of water (enough to fill at least half the bowl) in a separate teapot or water heater. While the water is boiling, measure a cap full of Klei Detox mixture and pour into the bottom of the bowl.
Step 2: Once the water has boiled, pour it over the mixture, filling the bowl. Be very careful to use heat protective hand mats when transporting boiling water or touching hot bowls. Wait a minute or two for the bowl to cool slightly.
Step 3: With your hair pulled back, pull a towel over the top of your head and over the exterior rim of the bowl, enclosing your face and the bowl in a steam tent. Breathe deeply and enjoy as your pores enlarge and open. Pushing out the days toxins and debris.